Year Of CallYear of call: 1993
‘Experienced in handling cases involving vulnerable defendants and witnesses.’ Legal 500 (2014)
‘Recommended for serious defence cases.’ Legal 500 (2013)
‘Has a down to earth approach with clients.’ Legal 500 (2012)
Criminal specialist on behalf of Defence and Prosecution. Has a wide experience of all types of serious and high profile criminal cases, in particular those involving the very young (both as Defendants and witnesses) and those with mental illness. Level 4 prosecutor (including RASSO panel).
Attended training in prosecuting serious sexual offences and in the use of intermediaries to assist vulnerable witnesses.
- Has acted as Junior Counsel in a large number of murder cases
- R v Omar – Allegation of a vicious stabbing in broad daylight in full view of large numbers of members of public on a bus against a juvenile suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder as a result of witnessing the massacre of his own family in his war torn homeland
- R v James – Allegation of the brutal and motiveless slaying of a friend on a camping trip against a 16 year old
- R v Ortton – Allegation of setting fire to a wheelie bin leading to the deaths of a whole family against a 15 year old
- R v Bonnick – Allegation of joint and frenzied knife attack in a take away shop against a university student
- Particular specialism in those offenders with mental disorders and psychiatric illnesses.
- R v Yasin – Allegation initially dealt with under the terrorism procedures of a mentally disordered defendant manufacturing home made explosive devices. Conduct of the fitness to plead hearing and the subsequent trial by jury of the actus reus
- R v Hodgson – Allegation of sexual assault in public sports facility against young and mentally impaired defendant. Conduct of fitness to plead hearing and the subsequent trial by jury of the actus reus
- R v Lewis – Attempted Murder allegation against 17 year old as part of a gang shooting of a drug dealer
- R v Hammond – Attempted Murder allegation against a young Defendant involving a shooting as a revenge attack
- R v Medlock – Attempted Murder allegation involving shooting with a sawn off shotgun as part of an ongoing feud between two families)
Serious Sexual Offences
- Regularly instructed in serious sexual offences by defence and prosecution including difficult and sensitive cases often involving third party disclosure issues.
- Recently completed the Serious Sexual Offences course and fully conversant in the most recent legislation including the Sexual Offences Act 2003.
- Extensive experience in cases involving the supply and distribution of class A drugs and linked proceeds of crime legislation.
- R v Salmons – Lengthy drugs conspiracy trial involving admissibility arguments in relation to covert police surveillance and intercepted telephone calls)
- Wide experience of offences against child victims, both sexual abuse and cruelty. Involved in a number of high profile child abuse cases including the nationally reported “House of Horrors” case against the parents of twin infants who were starved to within hours of death.
- R v C and B  2 Archbold News 2, CA – Leading authority on sexual history evidence
Called to the Bar 1993/Lincoln’s Inn
- LLB (Hons) Business Law
- Criminal Bar Association
- North Eastern Circuit