Year Of CallYear of call: 1994
‘Prosecutes and defends a broad spectrum of offences.’ Legal 500 (2014)
‘Recommended for serious defence cases.’ Legal 500 (2013)
‘noted for his ability to judge a jury.’ Legal 500 (2012)
Prosecuting and defending across the whole spectrum of criminal offences. Regularly instructed to defend in offences of murder, manslaughter, rape, historic allegations of child sexual abuse, serious offences of violence and large scaleÂ drug conspiracies.
He is regularly instructed in cases involving road traffic collision fatalities and has appeared for both the Crown and the defence in such cases. He has represented professional drivers who have been involved in such collisions and has been instructed on behalf of major insurance companies to give advice and provide representation.
Paul has particular expertise in prosecuting and defending in serious sexual offences cases, particularly those with young and vulnerable witnesses.Â He is regularly instructed in cases against leading counsel and cases listed before High Court Judges.
Paul has a wealth of experience dealing with Appellate work including judicial review cases.
Paul’s abilityÂ has been recognised by The Legal 500 as he has been listedÂ consistently. He is a strong, persuasive and conscientious advocate who has a calm and assured manner in court which is attractive to both judges and juries.
Level 4 prosecutor (including RASSO panel).
- Defended in a marital rape case where allegations spanned 26 years. Acquitted
- Prosecuted an Army Captain for the rape of his fiancÃ©’s best friend. Convicted
- Defended in an attempted murder allegation involving Â a gangland machete attack. Acquitted.
- Prosecuted campaign of violent rapes upon step daughter. Convicted.
- Prosecuted an Anglican priest for historic sexual offences against men and boys. Convicted.
- Instructed by CPS in a judicial reviewÂ case of CPS decision to prosecute a child for rape. Decision upheld.
- Member of the Criminal Bar Association
- Member of the North Eastern Circuit
- Accredited advocacy trainer.
Paul is an enthusiastic clubÂ runner who races regularly and hasÂ a number of sub 3 hour marathons to his credit, including London, Boston, Berlin and Tokyo.
Paul is an experienced trial advocate with experience of handling vulnerable witnesses and routinely deals in his criminal practice with cases involving serious sexual allegations.
Paul accepts instructions from parents and local authorities in public law proceedings.
Called to the Bar 1994/Lincoln’s Inn
- University of Leicester 1990-93
- Inns Of Court School of Law 1993-94